Monday, November 9, 2009

boy or girl...

everybody is asking if we know what it is yet or if we plan to find out.

no, we do not know what it is yet. you typically find out the gender at the 20 week anatomy scan (assuming baby cooperates). the last ultrasound was at 13 weeks. it's still too soon to tell for sure. i've heard we could've asked for a guess. but i don't want a guess. i want to know.

which brings me to the next question...

yes, we plan to find out. i had originally wanted to be surprised. everything on my registries is gender-neutral (because i'm a preparer). what better time to be surprised than when we don't already have a million of one type of clothes, as would happen with a second child?! but justin would really like to know.

i'm going to ramble on for a bit here, because i know all of you probably have an opinion.

we could have decided that justin would know, and i would not. but justin would not be able to breathe a word to a single soul. which i know he's certainly capable of handling. but even he could slip up and say he or her to me... and if i'd made it all the way to like 8 months and he slipped, i'd be devastated.

but justin made a good point... i can't wait for anything. and he's right. if i don't have to wait for it, i'm not gonna.

and of course i thought well why can't justin just do this for me? but i decided i'm just not going to push on the issue. he's not carrying the kid. so anything i can do to facilitate baby/daddy bonding comes before me getting my way. again. ;)

so here's the plan...
i will be 20 weeks on christmas day. anytime that week is acceptable. i called today to schedule the appointment... wednesday, december 23rd. and since it's so close to christmas, we've decided to ask the technician to write down the gender on a piece of paper and put it in an envelope. and we will open it on christmas day. the family gets together on christmas eve. but christmas day is just the two of us. it will be awesome. assuming i can wait until christmas morning...

9 comments:

ChicChickory said...

Sounds like an excellent gift to the mommy and daddy. :)

TriciaNae said...

I love reading about how people find the baby's gender! I think this a really sweet one...such a fun "gift"! I know a girl that went out of town the day of the sonogram, so the husband stayed home and painted the room (with the preapproved paint choice for that gender). I hope I get to do something like this in the next year or two!!

jody said...

Finding out on Christmas Day will be a great story to share with your little boy or girl one day!! xoxo

Cupcake said...

Very sweet! I can't wait to find out the gender!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! I remember when I found out I was having my first boy and I looked at the sono and told the uultrasonographer that I was having a boy. She asked me how I knew, and I told her because of that grain of rice on the screen! LOL Just hope your little one isn't spread eagle when you have the sono. But I really like the Christmas gift idea. Good luck!

Heather said...

That is very sweet & I will give you a WHOLE lot of credit if you can really wait till Christmas.

Anonymous said...

This is amazing. I love the idea... and pretty much I am super jealous! ~Lacey

Jeni German said...

When you leave the doc's office, give the paper to me. I promise you won't peek, nor will I. Because I do not care what gender it is, even if it is a mixed gender.
You and Justin are always so thoughtful, and now you're having your first possibly gender neutral baby on our wedding anniversary.
Very cool, you two rock!

Tam.I.am said...

I love that idea, Sondra. What a delightful Christmas present. You are so creative! :)