Monday, January 21, 2008

d-i-v-o-r-c-e...

no, not me.

i had expected to keep this blog mostly lighthearted in nature. but i imagine that is not ALWAYS going to be possible.

mom d and dad d, married 23 years, are divorcing. now it's not a surprise, as they've been discussing the possibility with us (me, will, sarah) for weeks, but it was still a bit of a shock. a blunt force whopper akin to smacking my head on the corner of a cabinet or walking eyes open into a glass door. it kinda hurt. i'm nearly 30 and yet i feel awkwardly child-like about the whole thing.

our goal is to remain unbias. they both seem to be okay with it. though i'm not sure it's really hit either of them as they're still living together. mom d can't afford the house on her own, so dad d is buying her out. he'll keep the house and she just bought a mobile home to start out on her own. the place will be hers close to mid-february. meanwhile, sarah and will and i have all chipped in to fly her down here. mom d doesn't really have anyone up there so we thought she might benefit from a short trip down here and some time with us. i believe she'll be at my bro's next wednesday, maybe thursday... i need to check on that. then they'll spend the following weekend down here.

more later... though i won't be posting many details as this is a very personal issue, and i don't think mom d and dad d would be very happy if all of their laundry was hanging out on the clothesline that is my blog.

2 comments:

Cupcake said...

Hey - I am glad it isn't you. I do know what you are going through though. My parents were married for 38 years last October, and they are getting divorced. It is a few years in coming, but I agree - that even when you see it coming that it is a shocker. Anyway... call me anytime if you talk!
Krista

Lindsey said...

We have been expecting my parents to announce the same for the past 10 years, but I imagine that even if they did at this point it would still be a shocker. I'm sorry you are going through that. It's tough on everyone.